Radio listeners 176+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Anyone here using tracker software?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Hardcore James Just thought I would ask to see if anyone is making music using something like Renoise, OpenMPT or even an old Amiga computer!?

I myself use OpenMPT and always have done since the days it was called Modplug Tracker - I find it well suited to the music I make which features lots of chopped up breakbeats and stab samples.

So anyone? :D
Audio Warfare Nope haha. Have you tried a more recent DAW?
Hard2Get There will no doubt be some people who use that stuff purely for the sake of being retro but apart from that modern sequencers are far too easily accessible and cheap for people to consider it an option generally. Although, ironically, the music that people were making with those trackers is probably on average considerably better than what people produce now even though they are no longer limited.
Hardcore James The tune I am writing today has 5 vsti synths and about 25-30 vst effects, nothing retro about that. I have tried many "more modern" DAWs but I have to say, it's just not possible to work as quickly and efficiently in them as I can in a tracker. It's not everyone thing though but they are hardly retro when software like OpenMPT re-noise support all the same technologies as the average DAW.

On the other hand, I did once make a 4 channel Mike Slammer and Red Alert style 8bit hardcore tune which was very retro!

danielseven I don't actually use it for doing hardcore but yes, sometimes I do use tracking software like the ones you mentioned mate.

I've started doing tunes using ScreamTracker 3 back in the 2003.
Samination still love module tracks. I am trying to sipher throu the Modarchieve's archive. So far Im still on A letter tracks :P
danielseven
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
still love module tracks. I am trying to sipher throu the Modarchieve's archive. So far Im still on A letter tracks :P

Man if you need some help in finding some good tracks you can count on me, I were listening only module music from 2003 to 2006 so I know lots of good ones :)
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by danielseven:
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
still love module tracks. I am trying to sipher throu the Modarchieve's archive. So far Im still on A letter tracks :P

Man if you need some help in finding some good tracks you can count on me, I were listening only module music from 2003 to 2006 so I know lots of good ones :)

I've been listening to mod tracks since 1999, so you might have a have heard more than you :P
Audio Warfare
quote:
Originally posted by Hardcore James:
The tune I am writing today has 5 vsti synths

I sometimes use more than that for one sound. ;) Quite surprised to hear that trackers have still moved on a bit from the old days though, that's pretty cool.

Are you James Dub or someone else entirely?
Hardcore James I'm not James Dub, no.

Indeed you can use tracker software pretty much in the same way as any other average DAW, just think of it as a different way of entering musical note data. I am fond of them just simply because I can do things in them so much faster than its possible to do in a traditional MIDI sequencer and my tunes feature lots of subtle tweaks to each bar so for me I find it way less frustrating than a piano roll and gives the same results.

I have some tunes on soundcloud.com/hardcore-james if you are curious - plus on some other labels too, or youtube user name Ravey James :D

In relation to modarchive, I must admit I never really got into that a great deal nor the whole tracking scene despite using Modplug all these years, care to recommend me anything great I should check out?

Samination What tracker usually do good with is Gabber. Alot of the hardcore tracks I've listened so far when it comes to mod tracks has always been the more gabbier stuff.

But to create the oldskool feel to stuff, you really need some old software :)
DJ_FunDaBounce wow
listening to a mix of yours on youtube. you've really got that 90's sound down pat. good job. no, not good. GREAT is more like it! effin' lovin' it.

followin on the soundcloud! ;)

one question: what do you use to mixdown in terms of reference speakers?
Hardcore James Thanks, FunDaBounce!

I am glad you like it and as you know I checked out a couple of your tracks yesterday, yours are awesome and IMO better produced technically than mine. Speaking of which, I do not actually yet own any monitors, I just use the crappy HI-FI connected to my main desktop computer or even just standard headphones. I can hear a lot wrong with my mixdowns but if they sound okay to other people it will be down to choosing sounds that work in the first place more than anything else.

Thank you for your feedback, by the way which mix did you listen too?

Samination, you are right about the Gabber - most of the hardcore mod tunes I have heard have been of that style! :D
DJ_FunDaBounce "They don't make them how they used to" I believe was the mix.

Your mixdowns are pretty consistent, btw, which is why I ask.
Hardcore James Thanks, glad you enjoyed the mix, its a giood one that aint it! :D

I guess because I have been doing this for about 8 or 9 years it's just subliminal if I achieve any sense of consistency. The mixdown and mastering side of things does not excite me nearly as much as the composing part and I pay it very little attention. I think 90s music maybe allows you a certain degree of ruff and readiness that's harder to pull of with today's music sounding very clean.

Either than or I'm just talented as hell :D lol

By the way, I am very soon making almost all of those tunes plus more available for download once I get round to uploading them all, so if any of the tunes take your fancy, keep an eye on youtube or soundcloud!

We've gone off topic here talking about how great I am lol - anyone else for any tidbits about trackers? :D
Elliott Trackers are still popular in breakcore, especially Renoise, but I haven't really heard of anyone using them for anything else. I'm vaguely considering having a look in because I've been working on some breakcore stuff lately but I probably won't end up doing it.

FL piano roll is a bitch for arranging breaks.
silver Can't tell you who, but 1 top tier producer in hardcore uses a tracker, you wouldn't believe me even if I did tell you who it was.
danielseven
quote:
Originally posted by silver:
Can't tell you who, but 1 top tier producer in hardcore uses a tracker, you wouldn't believe me even if I did tell you who it was.

DJ S3RL? :)
Hardcore James Silver, tell us please!

It would be impossible to tell from their tunes so I won't bother guessing, this isint 1993 where a tune made on a tracker would stick out like a saw thumb due to all the low quality 8Bit samples like a Red Alert & Mike Slammer tune always did!

My tunes don't sound like tracker tunes, just sound like they are made in any other DAW and again same with breakcore, you could use anything but Renoise is very popular due to its breakbeat chopping abilities!

I actually use to not tell anybody what I made my music with as I thought people wouldn't believe I was using Modplug - I've come out now though so to speak! LOL
Josephson_Junction
quote:
I actually use to not tell anybody what I made my music with as I thought people wouldn't believe I was using Modplug - I've come out now though so to speak! LOL

I know of other artists that have created awesome music using ModPlug, so I would have believed you. :)
Hard2Get
quote:
Silver, tell us please!

It would be impossible to tell from their tunes so I won't bother guessing, this isint 1993 where a tune made on a tracker would stick out like a saw thumb due to all the low quality 8Bit samples like a Red Alert & Mike Slammer tune always did!

Yet they sound better than anything modern lol. And it really makes no difference what you use anyway. No software is going to stop you making good music. You don't need good technology to make good music.
Hardcore James
quote:
You don't need good technology to make good music.

I'd love to write a hardcore tune and have it performed by a full orchestra! That would be awesome, some dude whacking one of those huge drums at 175 bpm, brass section doing the stabs, world renowned pianist playing piano chords franticly and get a decent rock drummer in to do live amen breakbeats! I wonder if it could be done or would it risk killing the musicians? Anyone know?
Charger
quote:
Can't tell you who, but 1 top tier producer in hardcore uses a tracker, you wouldn't believe me even if I did tell you who it was.

Is it Gisbo? If Reason is considered a tracker software :)
Hard2Get
quote:
quote:
You don't need good technology to make good music.

I'd love to write a hardcore tune and have it performed by a full orchestra! That would be awesome, some dude whacking one of those huge drums at 175 bpm, brass section doing the stabs, world renowned pianist playing piano chords franticly and get a decent rock drummer in to do live amen breakbeats! I wonder if it could be done or would it risk killing the musicians? Anyone know?

Easily doable. Reminds me of the orchestral version of Tubular Bells which i also happened to listen to again recently.
danielseven
quote:
Originally posted by Charger:
quote:

Is it Gisbo? If Reason is considered a tracker software :)

Reason isn't a tracker software.

Anyway whatever he is, I think he uses Renoise.
DJ_FunDaBounce
quote:

this made me laugh!
DJ_FunDaBounce

...as I can totally picture it!

Lorenzo.Tweakn it has to be luna c that uses tracker software. :P
eddiewould Scott Brown?
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by eddiewould:
Scott Brown?

I'd say Robbie Long actually. One of his early Next Generation tracks uses typical tracker sounds.
silver It's top tier, I cant say anymore because it would be too obvious.
Samination you mean as of today?
Hard2Get Well whoever it is is putting out the same quality of music as everyone else so it doesn't really matter, other than for the sake of interest.
dgrey387 Hello friends, Im really sorry for bumping this old thread, but didn't find anything closer to this. I have some questions about tracking software, can I contact someone who are pro in this field? Have a nice day!
Samination you're better off asking around the OpenMPT communties, as I doubt anyone uses trackers on this website anymore
https://openmpt.org/community
silver What's your question, I grew up with trackers and knew alot of the authors of the software.

It took 1.89 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page